is often partly dictated by house style, but not always, especially when one is doing a major kitchen reno and multiple styles are available. If you’re planning on giving your kitchen a makeover, you have no shortage of options when it comes to the style. From rustic to sleek and modern, there is a kitchen design for every taste. Deciding which one is for you depends on your aesthetic preferences and the rest of your home’s interior (you want the kitchen to be seamless, not stick out like a sore thumb). Cabinets and fixtures can change the entire style with added features such as lighting, the style of sinks and faucets further enhancing the overall look of the kitchen.
There are three main ways to kitchen style (and countless more specific styles that are variations of the main ones):
Contemporary- This design borrows high functionality and streamlined surfaces from the modernist design movement, but its style often incorporates traditional ideas as well for a sleek but livable feel.
Traditional- Traditional design has its roots in 18th century England and French countryside. The style is known for its warm, inviting interiors that scream comfort.
Transitional- Transitional design combines the best of traditional and contemporary styles to create a timeless interior that everyone will love. Together, they form a perfect balance of masculine and feminine resulting in elegant designs.
Contemporary Kitchen Style:
Sleek and minimalist, contemporary kitchens thrive on straight lines, sharp corners and simplistic style. If you have a sophisticated palate, and don’t like ornamentation or old-fashioned fuss, a contemporary kitchen design may just be what you want. Select clean light colors, slab or simple doors or a laminate door and a glossy Quartzite counter-top in the color of your choosing. Stainless steel or black appliances add a crisp look.
- Contemporary style cabinets
- Stainless steel appliances
- Frosted glass cabinet doors
- Modern pendant lights
Traditional Kitchen Style:
These kitchens are more classic in style and have many elegant, intricate design features and details. Start with a warm ornamental door style, or, if you prefer easy care laminate kitchen doors. A soft natural stone look in durable acrylic style makes the kitchen not only rich in looks but durable and delightful to maintain. Add a collection of pottery, or some plants for decor.
In many traditional style kitchens, you can find:
- Marble countertops
- Glass chandeliers
- Ornate cabinetry (drawer detailing, specialty glass, etc.)
- Decorative backsplash
- Crown molding
Transitional Kitchen Style:
A transitional kitchen blends the traditional and contemporary styles. This style has gained much popularity over the years and can give you the best of both worlds—classic charm and modern flair.
- more traditional and have contemporary touches
- modern style pendant lights
- contemporary style cabinets
- crown molding optional
There are also many variations of these three styles, including:
- Rustic: Rustic style kitchens are a variation of traditional but have woodsy charm. With wrought iron, wood ceiling beams, and butcher block countertops, you can create a rustic space.
- Country cottage: Another variation of traditional, cozy and charming country cottage style kitchens tend to be bright and airy. Many feature ceramic tiles, colorful curtains or valances, warm tones (pale yellow, sky blue, etc.), and glass cabinetry for displaying dishes and décor.
- Shaker style: With rustic charm (wood countertops, simple wood cabinets, and neutral tones), shaker style kitchens have a slight bucolic feel but with the more simplistic style of contemporary kitchens.
There are many more options than just these—your imagination is your limit when it comes to your custom kitchen design. You can get as creative as you want!
Here at Resco Group, we can assist you in making the style change of your choice with our design/build team. We will work within your budget to bring you the best possible result to update and upgrade your kitchen.Submit a Request Form here or Contact us